What they don't teach you at B School
It's been an an hour and I was on a heated argument with the advertising agent on the font to be used on the signboard..."Let's celebrate life"....was my punchline....I took a minute and stepped back to stare at my shop floor....I was quite proud of it....the carpenters were busy cutting away inside...(I was yet to handle the blunder they had made...the shelves had to be an inch broader....an inch short meant I could not stock North Indian silks...)... I call it my "dokaan ghar"...it was small...but beautiful..."yes this will work"....Meanwhile I had made a mental note of discussing with Prof.Ray certain issues. I identified these as:- How to build a customer database BEFORE the inaugaration?
- Lack of funds vs. need for ad spend
- How to attract the first crowd?
The first one is tricky...let's break down the question further..."who are the people who would be part of the database?" or in other words..."what is your target market?"....Bengali ladies...no...not quite....Bengalies who are interested in Bengal ethnic wear for ladies...That's a huge market...Hint 1: "look for them where they are." Now, that's Prof.Ray for you. This was completely "The Goal" way...the famous management novel we read in B School...keep asking the basic questions....
Lack of funds vs. ad spend?...Build relationships....word of mouth...etcetera etcetera...which meant that this was not an overnight task..."That's your problem,Poulami...you are always in a hurry"...Prof.Ray told me.
The first crowd? Now this had to be the convenional way..."read up your text book!"
"Let's see...", I sighed to myself...

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home